Every Monday and Thursday, a group of volunteers meet in West Park on the North Side of Pittsburgh, across from Light of Life Rescue shelter, to serve food and basic necessities to the homeless.
Before we serve the food, we open with prayer and a message from the Bible. It’s important for us to remember that even though we go and provide physical food, “man cannot live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God” (Matt 4:4). After the lesson, we serve the food and drinks, pass out clothing and supplies, and spend time talking and praying with the people.
Did you know:
• In January 2013,610,042 people were homeless on a given night.Most (65 percent) were living in emergency shelters or transitional housing programs and 35 percent were living in unsheltered locations.
• Nearly one-quarter (23 percent or 138,149) of all homeless people were children, under the age of 18. Ten percent (or 61,541) were between the ages of 18 and 24, and 67 percent (or 410,352) were 25 years or older.
• Homelessness declined by nearly 4 percent (or 23,740 people) between 2012 and 2013, and by 9 percent (or 61,846) since 2007.
• Between 2007 and 2013, unsheltered homelessness has declined by 23 percent (or 65,143), and by 7 percent (or 28,283) over the past year.
• Major city CoCs accounted for 45 percent of all homeless people; smaller city, county, and regional CoCs accounted for 41 percent, and 14 percent of people experiencing homelessness were counted in Balance of State (BoS) or statewide CoCs.
Want to get involved and make a difference in the lives of many? Contact us using the form below.